"Classics Rock! is the best of both worlds--music and books."
-- CNBC.com "Bullish on Books" blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Should Be Allowed to Think/They Might Be Giants




The opening line of this song, found on TMBG's 1994 album John Henry, is from Allen Ginsberg's extended poem Howl: I saw the best minds of my generation/Destroyed by madness, starving hysterical. Variations of the line occur throughout the song: I saw the best bands of my generation/Applied by magic marker to drywall, and more directly, I was the worst hope of my generation/Destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical. The song sounds a bit like a resentful rant by an adolescent who's not allowed to glue a poster to the wall...but we'll leave the interpretation up to you.

Submitted by Ron Hogan





No comments:

Post a Comment