"Classics Rock! is the best of both worlds--music and books."
-- CNBC.com "Bullish on Books" blog

Friday, July 17, 2009

Comic Books/Deborah Harry

All next week Classics Rock! will feature songs based on comic books in honor of Comic-Con 2009, taking place in San Diego July 23-26. Here's a preview...


"Comic Books," by a post-Blondie Deborah Harry, can be found on her solo album Def, Dumb & Blonde, released in 1989. The song features references two Archie Comics characters--Archie himself, created by John L. Goldwater; and Josie, the character created by Dan DeCarlo who originally appeared as "She's Josie" and then just "Josie," before morphing into "Josie and the Pussycats": Long before I was 12/I would read by myself/Archie, Josie, super-heroes/I would read them by myself. There's also a reference to the popular 1960s TV series based on Bob Kane's DC Comics character Batman: 14 was a gas for me/Batman on TV/I would cheer the super-heroes/They were all I wanted to be. In the end, Harry concludes: It's so funny how I got to look/Like all the people in my comic books--no doubt another reference to fellow rock-and-rollers Josie and the Pussycats, rather than Archie. Or Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment